CS Genetics is a privately-held genomics-technology company based in San Diego, California and Cambridge, United Kingdom. We're a nimble, highly-capable team focused on delivering genuine step-change innovation in genomic tools for research and clinical applications. We've developed a disruptive platform for single-cell genomics which leverages instrument-free, solution-phase chemical biology to provide unmatched ease-of-use, scalability, and affordability. We've recently closed our Series A and are expanding our Cambridge R&D team.
We’re looking for an audacious and dedicated laboratory scientist to join our NGS R&D team as a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate (dependent on experience). You will work closely with our broader R&D team to develop and optimise new reagent, assay, and application technologies for single-cell genomics, and will perform molecular, chemical, and cell-biology assays to improve and optimise performance and robustness. The ideal candidate will have experience performing hands-on molecular biology labwork and a deep desire to learn and master new laboratory techniques, and a keen intellectual interest in DNA sequencing technologies and their applications.
This will be a very challenging, multifaceted laboratory R&D position within a fast-moving genomics technology-development group, and will involve exposure to a variety of new experimental technologies, R&D processes, and end-to-end product development across applications in single-cell genomics and beyond.
- Perform complex, cutting-edge labwork to develop new technologies for single-cell genomics
- Quickly learn, quickly master, and quickly apply major molecular and chemical biology laboratory techniques
- Develop, assess, and optimise categorically new laboratory reagents, techniques, and assay workflows for NGS
- Engineer and evaluate new types of laboratory kits/products for use by academic and translational scientists
- Work with a team of other laboratory scientists developing new ways of using NGS for diverse applications
- Communicate internally and with external partners via oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings
Required Skills and Background
- BA/BSc or equivalent in molecular biology, bioengineering, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics/genomics, biophysics or similar relevant subject
- At least 1 year of full-time experience performing hands-on labwork in an academic and/or industrial setting in one of the following relevant fields: Life Sciences (e.g. molecular biology, genetics/genomics, bioengineering, or similar), and/or Physical Sciences (e.g. chemistry, biological chemistry, biophysics, or similar)
- Knowledge and practical experience with one of the following: Molecular Biology techniques (e.g. PCR/qPCR, RT, electrophoresis, DNA sequencing, etc), and/or Chemistry Techniques applicable to biomolecules like nucleic acids (e.g. modification and conjugation of oligonucleotides, detection with spectroscopic techniques like UV and fluorescence, surface chemistries for nucleic acid technologies, etc)
- Understanding of NGS sequencing platforms and appreciation for the chemistry/physics/biology interface
- Attention to detail in hands-on labwork, in record-keeping, and in communications with others
- Willingness to learn new protocols, and an ability to work and advance independently once trained in a method
- Enthusiasm for a demanding, fast-paced R&D role in a small-startup environment
Desired Skills and Background
- Prior experience with one of the following: NGS Sequencing (e.g. sample preparation methods such as DNA/RNA/ChIP-seq etc) and/or with other sophisticated nucleic acid or protein detection technologies/methods (molecular, optical, or otherwise)
- Scientific knowledge relevant to nucleic acids and NGS
- Knowledge of common maths/statistics relevant to scientific research
- MSci/MRes/MPhil or equivalent in a relevant field preferred but not required
What We Offer
- Exceptional team within a very fast-growing startup
- Mission driven startup looking to change how genomic data is generated and analysed
- Opportunity to grow your skills and career quickly
- Exceptional office/R&D workspace in central Cambridge – with regular free events, free food, company/community activities etc.
- Next to Cambridge Station – excellent commute and great city centre location
- Highly competitive package and equity scheme
CS Genetics is not working with recruiters for this role; interested applicants must apply directly to the company.